Monday 29 April 2013

Q&A with Dirty Dancing's Gareth Bailey and Bryony Whitfield







Dirty Dancing was a pop-culture phenomenon in 1987, thanks to the sizzling chemistry and hot dance moves of Jennifer Grey and the late Patrick Swayze.


Now, the story of dance instructor Johnny Castle and Frances “Baby” Houseman is set to come alive again, onstage at Marina Bay Sands, in a musical with 49 songs, including dance classic numbers like The Time Of My Life.


Actor Gareth Bailey, 26, who plays Castle, and Bryony Whitfield, 27, in the role of Baby, spoke to My Paper about translating the iconic roles for the stage.


What’s it like, being part of a well-known production?


Gareth: It’s funny, being part of a production that is so internationally known. I sometimes find myself trying to explain (to people) what Dirty Dancing is about, but before I even get close to finishing, they know what it is.


Are you both fans of the original movie?


Bryony: I watched the movie when I was young and I remember Baby, with her curly hair, the music and the love story.


Gareth: I personally love the film but I also think the stage production has brought another dynamic. We have an eight-piece live band, and all the songs are sung live. We’ve got a cast of 26 people and (the stage version) has this atmosphere that the film doesn’t.


Gareth, how did Patrick influence your performance?


Gareth: In the film, you have fantastic cinematic close-ups of Patrick Swayze. I (studied those, and) use the energy (in my own performances).


How is your performance different from Jennifer’s, Bryony?


Bryony: You can’t be a carbon copy of such an iconic performer. I have found that Jennifer Grey is sort of shy while I myself am a very animated person and I think that I’ve taken that to the stage. I think I play (Baby) with more vulnerability in some places.


Dirty Dancing – The Classic Story begins its run at Marina Bay Sands on May 24. Tickets, from $55, are available through Sistic (www.sistic.com.sg).



7b5c3 myp newlogo Pentagon sees Singapores decision about buying F 35s by summer
Get My Paper for more stories.





Q&A with Dirty Dancing"s Gareth Bailey and Bryony Whitfield

No comments:

Post a Comment